The gift-giving season is upon us, and what a joyful time it is. But with all those presents comes wrapping paper. Have you ever thought about this paper’s disposability? Did you know you can’t recycle wrapping paper? This year, consider using an alternative method to conceal the special items you’ve purchased or made for loved ones.
Here is a sampling of 9 wrapping paper alternatives to inspire you this holiday season:
- Gift bags: Have a stash of paper gift bags you’ve collected over the years? Reuse them! If used gently (and particularly within your family), they can be reused time and again.
- Kraft butcher paper: Yes, it’s technically still paper, but it’s recyclable. This beautifully simple alternative looks stunning paired with the perfect embellishments (for instance, red and white baker’s twine or shiny red ribbon). For kid recipients, take a Sharpie to the paper and indulge your creative, artistic side.
- Paper grocery sacks/lunch brown bags: Don’t have butcher paper but appreciate its look? These free (or super inexpensive) alternatives are perfect in a pinch.
- Fabric gift bags: What do you get when you pair beautiful (or fun, festive) fabric prints with a touch of sewing machine know-how? Custom-sized totes that can be used year after year, indefinitely.
- Newspaper: If at first you think, “Tacky!” think again. Done right, this gift wrapping paper alternative can lend a personalized thoughtfulness element to any gift. Consider the content of the upward-facing print and try to display an article the giftee would enjoy or supply him or her with a crossword puzzle or word search. And don’t forget the comic strips—these can be a hit for giftees of all ages.
- Fabric scraps: Have fabric but no sewing machine? With the print side out, wrap a piece large enough to cover a gift and clasp it shut with a strip of sparkly ribbon or rustic raffia.
- Baskets: With different shapes, sizes, and colors, baskets are an awesome way to present gifts, particularly if you’ve compiled a collection of small items with a central theme.
- Magazine pages: Publishers sell millions of magazines each month with gorgeous images and inspiring fonts. Spark your creativity and put these glossy pages to good use by wrapping small gifts, keeping in mind the personalizing potential of this method.
- Maps: Covering a gift for someone special is a perfect way to breathe new life into an old map.
This season, challenge yourself to think creatively and enjoy exploring alternatives to gift wrapping paper. Who knows—maybe you’ll discover a new favorite way to present your gifts to loved ones. Happy holidays!
Meridian Ranch is Falcon, Colorado’s, premier master-planned community. Beyond the comforts of the community’s extensive onsite amenities, residents enjoy a variety of nearby shopping and dining options, parks and recreation opportunities, and top-notch schools. Visit us today and check out our available inventory of beautiful ranch and 2-story floorplans, starting in the high $200s.