Goggles? Check. Swimsuit? Yep. Oversized towel? You better believe it. Summer is approaching fast, which means it’s just about time to hear the sounds of happiness as families splash and flip and swim their way through summer break. Best of all, the outdoor pool at Meridian Ranch Recreation Center is set to open in late May. There’s no better way to pass the long, hot days of summer in sunny Colorado than having fun poolside.
Let’s get ready for fun! Here are a few tips and tricks for maximizing this summer activity:
Play it safe
First things first: pool safety is a top priority, and the start of the season is the perfect time for a refresher. Here are some tips for successful, safe outings by the water:
- Be in the know: Whether you choose to swim at Meridian Ranch Rec Center’s indoor pool—complete with lazy river and play structure—or its awesome heated outdoor pool, check for posted signs and familiarize yourself with the policies. Is diving allowed, or is it feet-first entry only? How deep is the deep end?
- Stay within bounds: How comfortable are you in the water? Can your kiddos conquer the deep end, or is the confidence-building beach entry at Meridian Ranch’s outdoor pool a better fit? Know (and respect) your limits! Swim lessons are a great way to empower yourself or your loved ones to feel safe near pool water.
- Protect yourself: Don’t let a sunburn get in the way of a good time. Slather on the SPF at regular intervals, and consider wearing UV-blocking clothing and a wide-brimmed hat. Protect your peepers with proper eyewear (sunglasses, goggles), and be sure to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.
Get your game on
Growing up, what was your favorite activity in the pool? Classic games make the day fly by. Have fun in the sun with these tried-and-true pool games:
- Marco Polo
- Underwater tea party
- Treasure hunt
- Sharks and minnows
- Contests: craziest hair, longest handstand, most somersaults, and more!
Make a day of it
Are you a pool time warrior? Pack a picnic for all-day fun and don’t miss a moment of splash time. Here are some favorite poolside snacks:
- Crunch into creamy goodness: carrots, cucumbers, peppers, and hummus
- Sip it: Strawberry Watermelon Lemonade
- Tantalize your tastebuds: Summer Orzo
- Satisfy your sweet tooth: Peach Crisp Parfait Pops
Summer is almost here! Get out and enjoy pool time with family at the Meridian Ranch Rec Center.
Meridian Ranch is Colorado Springs’ premier golf and recreational community. With year-round swimming opportunities and conveniently located dining, shopping, and entertainment, there’s something for everyone. Meridian Ranch residents love their community—visit us today to experience for yourself what makes this a special place to call home.